When asked recently what employees are most thankful for in their jobs, aside from a paycheck, nearly one-quarter (24 percent) of office professionals said friendly coworkers. One in five (20 percent) respondents most appreciate a good benefits program. Workers were asked, “Aside from salary, what are you most thankful for at your current job?“ Their responses:
|Good benefits program||20%|
|Don’t know/no answer||1%|
*Responses do not total 100 percent due to rounding.
The survey also revealed differences by age: Respondents over the age of 65 were most thankful for friendly coworkers (40 percent), followed by those between the ages of 18 and 34 (34 percent).
Here are 5 shifts that professionals can make to be happier at work:
- Socialize with coworkers. Participate in activities like team lunches or birthday celebrations. Getting to know colleagues builds camaraderie and makes working together more fun and productive.
- Step away from the desk. Clear your mind by taking short walks or, weather permitting, enjoying lunch outdoors. Use allotted vacation days so you get adequate time away from work.
- Explore flexible scheduling options. Find out if your employer supports alternative work arrangements. You may be able to reduce your commute by working from home on certain days or modifying your hours.
- Take advantage of perks. Make use of benefits beyond health insurance and vacation time, such as on-site exercise facilities, discount programs or dry cleaning services.
- Set goals and meet them. Work toward career objectives by volunteering for stretch assignments outside your normal responsibilities. Build new skills through professional development programs.
**Share the Magazine with your executive colleagues and friends!
Follow the Magazine:
(After you have filled in your email address in the column at the right hand side of the screen, a confirmation email will sent to your email address. You will have to confirm it before subscription begins)
Follow us on Twitter:
Like us on Facebook:
**As part of the Magazine’s drive to reward subscribers/followers, we will be providing subscribers/followers special access to exclusive content which will not be otherwise available to normal visitors. Please be sure to subscribe to the Magazine. Many visitors have given us positive comments that they will be bookmarking the site, but as the system is unable to capture a working email address to which the passcodes for exclusive content will be sent, they will miss out on this content. Do note that passcodes are locked to each exclusive content, not a one-for-all access, so do provide a working email address that you check regularly so as not to miss out on them!
You may also be interested in reading:
- Quote of the Day – on Jack Welch’s Innovation Technique (businessleadershipmanagement.wordpress.com)