Relocation can be difficult and expensive; often riddled with unexpected costs and planning will go a long way in keeping costs down and reducing financial stress. Here are 9 tips to save money on moving expenses.
1. Decide on Movers: Hiring a mover can be risky. There are many consumer complaints in this industry. If you need professional help, research three movers with the Better Business Bureau each carrying an A rating. Get estimates and compare.
2. Sell or Donate – The more you move, the more you will have to pay, especially if you’re hiring a professional or renting a truck. Take a hard look at your stuff and decide if it really needs to be moved, or if you can sell or donate it. Consider hosting a garage sale or using sites like Craigslist.org to sell items.
3. Examine Your Appliances – If you’re taking major appliances, account for professional servicing or installation costs. It may not be worth the cost of moving old appliances needing frequent repairs.
4. Eat Up – Leading up to your move, eat foods in your pantry, refrigerator and freezer. Restock after the move.
5. Don’t Buy Boxes – Check grocery, warehouse stores or recycling facilities for boxes, or ask friends and family for spares.
6. Consider a Pod – If you’re moving far, a pod may prove cheaper than a moving van or professional moving company, especially when considering the cost of gas.
7. Select “Off” Days – Saturday is the most popular day to move. It’s also the most expensive. Prices for truck rentals or professional movers are higher on weekends. Consider moving mid-week to avoid the premium cost.
8. Manage Utilities & Services – Contact your phone, cable and utility providers well ahead of your move to set a discontinuation date. This will ensure you’re not paying for services after you move. You may also need to cancel or transfer other subscriptions, such as gym memberships, pool maintenance and periodicals.
9. Get Insurance in Order – Make sure your auto and home or rental insurers are aware of your move so they can adjust your premiums or transfer coverage.
Follow the Magazine:
(After you have filled in your email address in the column at the right hand side of the screen, a confirmation email will sent to your email address. You will have to confirm it before subscription begins)
Follow us on Twitter:
Like us on Facebook:
*As part of the Magazine’s drive to reward subscribers/followers, we will be providing subscribers/followers special access to exclusive content which will not be otherwise available to normal visitors. Please be sure to subscribe to the Magazine. Many visitors have given us positive comments that they will be bookmarking the site, but as the system is unable to capture a working email address to which the passcodes for exclusive content will be sent, they will miss out on this content. Do note that passcodes are locked to each exclusive content, not a one-for-all access, so do provide a working email address that you check regularly so as not to miss out on them!