1. Individual-Related – there is a need for teams to have one or two naturally creative individuals.
BLM Managerial implication: Executives have to ensure the presence of such individuals who will contribute to the overall process with their creative juices.
2. Communication, Engagement and Organizational Skills – Oral and creative skills have to be evident. High task engagement and the show of initiative is also important, to be coupled along with coordination.
BLM Managerial implication: Executives have to coach and employ skills to ensure that these elements resonate within the team to stir productive creativity.
3. Education- and Experience-Related Knowledge – refers to relevant knowledge and mastery of subject matter.
BLM Managerial implication: encourage knowledge sharing among members. To kickstart such processes, a level of trust and bonding is necessary. If the group has a central leader, he/she has to take charge by getting the ball rolling on his/her end. If a shared leadership, harness the momentum by getting members on board the sharing process; be a driver of change.
4. Team-Related Creativity – Designs which emerge within a team situation, eg., brainstorming, coaching, generated earlier, etc.
5. Geographical Dispersion & Heterogeneity – Geographical dispersion reduces teamwork as well exacerbates participant differences. Heterogenity on the other hand, may result in misinterpretation of concepts and ideas.
BLM Managerial implication: Subgrouping – It is therefore necessary to employ cultural sensitivity, good management and the right leadership style to increase teamwork and reduce differences. Subgrouping refers to knowledge sharing, and the germane distribution of tasks while mitigating the negative effects of geographical dispersion and heterogeneity.
6. Stronger Voices – Some voices overpower others and cause disappointment when not all voices are heard.
7. Leadership Styles – the VDT has a lifecycle. Thus far, three forms of leadership have been effective in leading VDT teams, namely, emergent (allowing new leaders to emerge during the lifecycle of the VDT), participative (collaborative) and motivational (coaching) centered leadership.
BLM Managerial implication: It is necessary to allow the leadership style to evolve according to the lifecycle stages of the VDT and to be applied appropriately to ensure their success.
8. Technology – This provides the platform to help overcome geographical dispersion and time differences.
9. Synchronicity/ Asynchronicity – refers to the fostering of a spirit of commitment towards creative processes and the sharing of ideas irrespective of teammates’ availability. On the flipside however, once these turns artificial, there will a loss of focus and a loss of track of technical issues or due to additional activities correspondingly.
BLM Managerial implication: Leaders have to take charge to ensure that these elements remain authentic so that engagement can build momentum for the team.
From: Petros Chamakiotis, Elies A. Dekoninck and Niki Panteli, 2013, “Factors Influencing Creativity in
Virtual Design Teams: An Interplay between Technology, Teams and Individuals: paper published in CREATIVITY AND INNOVATION MANAGEMENT 22(3)
Follow the Magazine: https://businessleadershipmanagement.wordpress.com/subscribe-follow-the-magazine/ (After you have filled in your email address in the column at the right hand side of the screen, a confirmation email will sent to your email address. You will have to confirm it before subscription begins)
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BusinessLeaders
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BusinessLeadershipManagement
**As part of the Magazine’s drive to reward subscribers/followers, we will be providing subscribers/followers special access to exclusive content which will not be otherwise available to normal visitors. Please be sure to subscribe to the Magazine. Many visitors have given us positive comments that they will be bookmarking the site, but as the system is unable to capture a working email address to which the passcodes for exclusive content will be sent, they will miss out on this content. Do note that passcodes are locked to each exclusive content, not a one-for-all access, so do provide a working email address that you check regularly so as not to miss out on them!